Save 10% on Materials with the Kit
If you had one fly for backcountry snook and tarpon (big and small) – Giacobba’s Doofus would be a good choice. The contrast of natural and bright between the chartreuse and brown coloration makes this fly easily visible in cloudy water and low-light, while also keeping it inoffensive in clearer water on brighter days. We like all the movement from the Extra-Select Craft Fur tail. The balance between buoyancy of all the materials tied on top and sink-rate of the extra-large Bead Chain eyes allows you to fish this bug effectively in both shallow and deep water.
Doofus 1/0 Orangutan/Chartreuse
- Thread: Ultra Thread 210 – Brown
- Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 – 1/0
- Eyes: Bead Chain Eyes – XL Black
- Egg Sac: Estaz – Amber Orange
- Tail: Extra-Select Craft Fur – Orangutan Rust
- Tail: Extra-Select Craft Fur – Chartreuse
- Body: EP Minnow Head Brush 1.5″ – Everglades
- Antennae: Dry Fly Rooster Neck – #2 Red Grizzly
Use a brown marker to bar the tail. We recommend the Dark Brown colored PrismColor Marker.