Save 10% on Materials with the Kit
Sad Flea Materials Kit- #2 Ginger/Tan Includes:
- Thread: Ultra Thread 210 – Fl Green
- Hook: Gamakatsu SL12S – #2 12pk
- Eyes: I-Balz – 5/32″ Black/Chartreuse
- Flash: Krystal Flash – Pearl
- Tail: Strung Marabou – Ginger
- Feelers: Dry Fly Rooster Neck #2 – Hackle can vary Red Grizzly/Cree/Chinchilla
- Egg Sac: Rayon Chenille – Medium Light Orange
- Body: Ultra Chenille – Medium Tan
- Weedguard: Mason Hard Type Nylon – 20lb
Here’s how to tie the Sad Flea. When it comes to flies for bonefish and permit, Biscayne Bay guide Capt. Dave Saddler likes simple and effective. With those guidelines in mind, he came up with the Sad Flea and has great success with the fly due to how naturally it lands.
The Sad Flea hits the water softly and sits on the bottom with the tail end looking up at the fish, much like a crab or shrimp in a defensive position. The weed guard will then keep the fly snag-free as it (unsuccessfully) attempts to flee.
The Sad Flea helped angler Brower Moffit achieve victory at the 2009 Superfly S.L.A.M.