All the ingredients for the polar toad
The Tarpon Toad is an extremely effective tarpon fly. The Polar Toad is just an easier to tie toad variation. Easier in that you’re wrapping a brush instead of x-wrapping fibers. This technique is quite convenient when banging out a dozen flies which you should if you’re going tarpon fishing. The saucer shaped head allows this fly to track straight without wobbling, that combined with all the movement in the tail is what makes it so effective. The Polar Toad Materials Kit provides the materials to tie the chartreuse version, which is used most effectively on oceanside fish and fish in off-color water when the sun is high and bright.
You’ll notice in the video tutorial that we use Whiting American Rooster Saddle for the collar. In order to keep the kit’s price down and to compensate for the difficulty of getting Whiting in stock at certain times of the year – we’ve substituted the hackle for Grizzly Mini Marabou for the collar in the kit. Palmer the marabou for the same effect and an even more unique appearance.
- Save 10% vs ordering each material individually
- (1) Owner Aki – 1/0 6pk
- (1) Ultra Thread 210 Denier – Fl Chartreuse or Danville 210 Denier Flat Wax Nylon – Fl Green (depending on availability)
- (1) Plastic Eyes – 3mm Black
- (1) Polarflash – Green Pearl
- (1) Polar Fiber – Electric Yellow
- (1) Polar Fiber – Chartreuse
- (1) Grizzly Mini Marabou – Chartreuse
- (1) EP Crustaceous Brush – Mantis Chartreuse