Location: Northwestern coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula.
Fishery: Literally translated to “island of the tarpon”, Isla Del Sabalo is home to world class baby tarpon fishing (5 – 30+ pounders). Get ready for a great backcountry adventure in environments ideal for juvie tarpon – gin-clear turtlegrass flats, mangrove lined creeks, channels, lagoons and bays. Juvie tarpon are usually considered very “bitey” creatures when it comes to eating flies. Making this a great destination for beginners, as well as for tarpon junkies and experienced anglers looking to do some technical casting in tight quarters.
Accomodations: Simple and relaxing beach-front cottages with AC, private bathrooms, and housekeeping services. The meals are served in a beachside palappa. They consist of fresh delicious meat, chicken, pork and seafood in the incredible Isla Arena atmosphere.
- 5:30 AM Breakfast
- 5:00 AM – 3:00 PM Guided fishing (with cooler packed lunch)
- Evening Dinner is served in the palappa in the evening
- Day 1 Arrive Merida and overnight
- Day 2 Transfer to lodge around mid-day
- Days 3-7 Full days guided fishing
- Day 8 Full day of fishing. Afterwards transfer to Merida and overnight
- Day 9 Depart Merida
Per person based on single occupancy and shared guiding:
7 night/6 day package: $3,965
6 night/5 day package: $3,590
5 night/4 day package: $3,215
4 night/3 day package: $2,825
3 night/2 day package: $2,435
Included: Accommodations and meals at the lodge, guided fishing, non-alcoholic beverages, guest taxes, fishing licenses, Internet access, ground transfers to/from the Merida airport.
Not Included: Airfare, meals in Merida, alcoholic beverages, staff & guide gratuities, phone service, laundry service, fly fishing gear and tackle.
Season: May – November
Capacity: 6 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- Megalopsicle – 1/0 Chartreuse/Yellow, 1/0 Dirty Olive, 1/0 Purple/Black, 1/0 Tan/Orange
- Laid-Up Tarpon Fly – 1/0 Chartreuse, 1/0 Tan
- Bunny Tarpon Toad – 1/0 Purple/Black
- Tarpon Toad – 1/0 Orange, 1/0 Purple/Black
- EP Tarpon Streamer – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Brown/Tan
- EP Everglades SP – 1/0, 2/0
- RIO’s Dread Pirate – 1/0 Tan, 1/0 Rust/Olive, 1/0 Purple/Pink
- RIO’s Guido Shrimp – 1/0 Black, 1/0 Tan
- EP Top Water – 2/0 White/Treuse
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for juvie tarpon (most conditions)
- Fast-action 9′ 9 weight for windier conditions, tarpon on the larger side of 30+ pounds
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 9 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 or #30 backing
- Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best. Bugstopper gear is a good idea as tight quarter mangrove areas can be buggy. Have a rain jacket.