Location: On the Rio Marié, deep within the Brazilian Amazon rainforest near the Brazil/Colombia border
Fishery: One of the most exciting and remote peacock bass destinations in the world. The system you’ll be fishing has more than 400 miles of rivers, 180 known creeks, 60 lakes and three major tributaries. The mothership cycles through beats so that anglers are always fishing rested and sometimes untouched stretches inhabited by the aggressive butterfly peacock bass and the giant temensis peacock bass.
Accomodations: Anglers stay on the mothership. A spacious yacht with large guest cabins, air conditioning and in-room bathrooms. There’s a dining room and a cocktail area on the upper deck. An Argentine chef prepares dishes of freshly caught fish, fresh daily-baked bread and pastries.
- Teams of two anglers are paired with a professional English speaking fly fishing guide and a local Indian guide. You’ll fish out of custom designed boats that feature fore and aft casting platforms. Lunch is usually eaten quickly on the boat, then fishing resumes until the light begins to fade.
- Day 1 (Wednesday): Arrive in Manaus where you will be met by a member of the Rio Marié team who will transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 2 (Thursday): After breakfast (approximately 7:00 AM), you will be transferred to the local airport to meet your charter flight to Rio Marié. Once on the ground, you will meet your guides and staff and transfer by boat to the yacht. After lunch you will head out for a half day of fishing.
- Day 3-8 (Friday-Wednesday): Six days of guided fishing. Each group of two anglers will be accompanied by a professional fly fishing guide as well as a native guide.
- Day 9 (Thursday): In the morning, guests will be transferred by boat to the landing strip and fly back to Manaus, weather permitting. You will stop to refuel before arriving in Manaus at approximately 3:00 PM. There you will be met by a member of the Rio Marié team who will transfer you to the airport for your return flight home.
2020 Rates: $7,325 plus $670 native fee per person for an 8 night/6 day package.
Included: All charter flights and boat transfers, all necessary ground transfers in Brazil, 6.5 days guided fishing, 7 nights lodging, meals and beverages (including wine, beer and spirits), one overnight at Caesar Business Hotel in Manaus on arrival, fishing licenses, daily laundry and maid service at fishing destination.
Not Included: $670 Native Community fee, international airfare, gratuities for camp staff and guides, food and beverages in Manaus and private city tours, airport departure tax, satellite phone calls ($5/minute), extra hotel overnights, tackle.
Season: Mid September to early December
Capacity: 12 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
Peacock Bass Flies
- Rainy’s Bubblehead Popper – #2 Firetiger, #2 Black
- CB In-Shore Popper – 3/0 White, 3/0 Hot Orange/Yellow, 3/0 Chartreuse
- Banger – 2/0 Chartreuse, 4/0 Chartreuse
- Seeker – 3/0 Green, 3/0 Blue
- Robrahn’s Bluewater – 4/0 Dark Day, 4/0 Striper
- EP Pike/Offshore – 4/0 Black/Orange, 4/0 Fire Tiger, 4/0 Chartreuse/Pearl
- Game Changer – 2/0 Pearl/White
- Predator Pounder – 2/0 Red/Black, 2/0 Chartreuse/Black
- EP Dorado – 4/0 Baby Peacock, 4/0 Black/Yellow, 4/0 Chartreuse/Yellow
Brazil/Amazon Peacock Bass Box
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 100 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 100 yds of #30 backing
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy, punches into the wind and can carry large flies.
- Weight forward tropical WF10F/I, intermediate sink tip line
- Weight forward 300 grain (WF8F/S3) sink tip line
- It is recommended to bring extra lines either by themselves or on extra spools and reels. The jungle tends to eat fly lines when giant peacock bass take your line deep into it.