Location: Northeast Caye, Placencia, Belize.
Fishery: Legendary Belizean permit guide Lincoln Westby’s passion for permit has led him to assemble some of the best guides in the country to take you down “permit alley” and help you experience the magic of permit fishing in Belize. Belize is famous for its number of permit and in-turn its number of shots at permit. Most of which will be at tailing fish on the beautiful pancake flats which are an extremely short boat run from the lodge, and a rather far run from elsewhere. So it’s safe to say that your guides will have you fishing unpressured flats and fish. Most of the fishing is done from the skiff while there may be some opportune wading sessions.
Accomodations: The lodge is perfectly balanced as comfortable without distraction. The design foundation is the ideal mindset of the permit angler coming to Belize, providing the atmosphere to both focus and relax at the same time.
Daily schedules (fishing, eating, relaxing, sleeping) are planned around fishing the best parts of the tides for that particular day.
- Day 1 Arrive Belize City and take a 20-minute flight on Maya Island Air to Dangriga. Transfer to lodge (via boat for Thatch Caye and Royal Belize). Arrive lodge, settle in and ready tackle for the next day.
- Day 2-7 Six days of guided fishing with Blue Horizon guides.
- Day 8 Boat transfer back to Dangriga to catch Maya Island Air to Belize City. Transfer to flight home or other destinations.
Per person based on double occupancy:
7 night/6 day package: $4,325
6 night/5 day package: $3,600
5 night/4 day package: $2,990
4 night/3 day package: $2,325
3 night/2 day package: $1,750
Included: Accommodations and meals, Belizean taxes, guided fishing, ground transfers, non-alcoholic beverages.
Not Included: All airfare, alcohol, fishing guide gratuities, fishing license.
Season: October to July
Capacity: 12 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- Bauer’s Flats Crab – #4 Tan, #4 Olive
- EP Permit Crab – #1 3-Tone
- EP Crab – #2 Olive, #2 Tan
- Rag Head Crab – #6 Tan, #2 Tan
- Lexo’s One Armed Bandit – #2 Sand
- Slater’s Strong Arm Merkin – #2
- Avalon Permit Fly – #2, #2 Lightweight
Belize Bonefish and Permit Box
- Gotcha – #8, #6, #4
- Bonefish Bitters – #6 Olive, #6 Amber
- Bone Apetite – #4 Tan
- Mantis Shrimp – #6, #4
- EP Turneffe Micro Shrimp – #8 Pink
- EP Turneffe Micro Crab – #8 Pale Olive, #8 Tan
- Squimp – #6 Tan
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Black/Purple
- Megalopsicle – 1/0 Purple/Black, 1/0 Tan/Orange
- Super Mushy – 3/0 Blue/Pearl
- EP Sardina – 3/0
- EP Tarpon SP Bunny – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Chartreuse/Yellow
- Seeker – 3/0 Blue, 3/0 Green
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for bonefish
- Fast-action 9′ 9 weight for permit
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight for permit and tarpon
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 9 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #20 or #30 backing
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy, punches into the wind and can be presented softly. For bonefish.
- Weight forward tropical floating WF9F and WF10F fly lines, that punch into the wind and carry big flies. For permit and tarpon.
Bonefish Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb
- RIO Bonefish Leader – 12 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 12 lb, 16 lb
Permit Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb, 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 16 lb, 20 lb
Tarpon Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 40 lb, 60 lb
- RIO Tarpon Pro Leaders – 20 lb class/60 lb shock
- Sun protection is critical. Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best.
- Simms Zipit II booties are perfect for wading sessions