Location: Christmas Island (Kiribati), 1,200 miles south of Hawaii.
Fishery: The world famous Christmas Island is also the world’s largest coral atoll and is a dream destination for saltwater sight fishing. Most of the fly fishing is done wading in clear, skinny water. The bonefish are beyond abundant with the average fish in the 2-3 pound range and opportunities at fish in the 5-10 pound range. Amongst the bonefish, triggerfish and multitude of trevally species you’ll encounter on the flats, the GT reigns supreme. Anglers go to Christmas Island specifically to pit their might and skill against the great Giant Trevally in shallow water.
Accomodations: Rustic and simple. the accommodations are little more than a comfortable basecamp to rest your head at night. Rooms are clean with A/C and a bathroom. The meals are basic but filling and delicious after a day on the water. They consist of fresh seafood or chicken, pork or meat with rice or pasta.
- 6:30 AM Breakfast
- 7:00 AM Depart for flats
- 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Guided fishing
- 5:30 PM Return to lodge
- 7:00 PM Dinner
- Monday Arrive in Honolulu and overnight at your elected accommodations (independently arranged, not included).
- Tuesday Depart Honolulu and arrive Christmas Island where you will be transported to the lodge.
- Wednesday through Monday Six full days of guided fishing.
- Tuesday Depart Christmas Island and arrive Honolulu* for your connecting flight home or points beyond.
- Note: Please be aware that this flight crosses the International Date Line, so when you depart the island it will be Wednesday, and when you arrive in Honolulu it will be 10:50 AM on Tuesday. If you are planning on connecting with a flight home from Honolulu the same day, please do not book a flight prior to 1:00 PM to ensure a smooth connection. Anglers will be required to clear customs and immigration, collect baggage, and re-enter the security checkpoint.
2020 Rates: $2,570 per person for a 7 night/6 day package (double occupancy). $2,945 per person for a 7 night/6 day package (private room and private guide).
Included: Accommodations, meals, guided fishing, four bottles of water per person per day, ground transportation on Christmas Island.
Not Included: All airfare to Christmas Island, accommodations/meals/transfers in Honolulu, alcohol and soda, fishing license, staff and guide gratuities, departure taxes.
Capacity: 12 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- GT Brushy Profile – 6/0 Tan
- Tarpon/Pike Snake – 3/0 Black
- EP Mullet – 3/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Bronze/White
- EP Pike/Offshore – 4/0 Black/Orange
- EP Tinker Mackerel – 3/0 Olive
- NYAP – 4/0 Tan/White, 6/0 Tan/White, 6/0 Black/Purple
- Christmas Island Special – #6 Orange
- Chili Pepper – #4
- Gotcha – #8, #6, #4
- RIO’s Participation Trophy – #6 Tan/Orange, #6 Pink
- Bonefish Deep Minnow – #6 Foxee Red, #2 Foxee Red
- EP Spawning Shrimp – #4 Tan, #4 BC Tan
Other Species (Various Trevallys, Snappers, Wrasses) Flies
- EP Mullet – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Bronze/White
- EP Blueback Herring – 2/0
- Bonefish Slider – #6 Brown, #4 Brown
- Clouser Minnow – #2 Black, #2 Chartreuse/White, #2 Crabby, #2 Golden Shiner
- Crease Fly – #4 Blue Back, #1 Blue Back, #4 Olive Back, #1 Olive Back
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for bonefish
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight for small trevallys and mixed bag of various other species
- Fast-Action 9′ 12 weight for GTs
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 backing for bonefish
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #20 or #30 backing for various species
- High quality, premium 12 weight reel with smooth, powerful drag system and at least 250 yds of #68 (Hatch Premium Backing) for GTs
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy, punches into the wind and can be presented softly. For bonefish.
- Weight forward tropical floating WF10F fly line, that loads easy and punches into the wind for trevally, wrasses and other species.
- Weight forward tropical floating WF12F fly line, that loads easy and carries big flies for GTs
Bonefish Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb
- RIO Bonefish Leader – 12 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 12 lb, 16 lb
GT Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 80 lb, 100 lb
Multi Species Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 20 lb, 25 lb
- Sun protection is critical. Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best.
- Simms Flats Sneakers are excellent for wading around coral