Location: Punta Gorda, Belize on a jungle hillside near the southern border with Guatemala.
Fishery: This is a world class permit destination. There are two main, very different areas that you’ll fish. This allows your guides to play to the conditions and go both where the permit are and where you’re more likely to be successful on a given tide/wind direction, etc. You’ll fish classic oceanside flats fishing and a nearshore lagoon where fish like to tail. In addition to permit, you can also opt-in for some good tarpon and snook fishing in the rivers, or bonefishing on the flats.
Accomodations: Copal Tree Lodge is luxury in the jungle. It’s a testament to Belize’s natural beauty and craftsmanship. The food is incomparable. The authentic Belizean cuisine comes from the nearby waters and from the lodge’s own farm. The suites are designed for comfort. Everything about the place screams paradise. There is a mirage of fun non-fishing adventures one can undertake, such as hiking, snorkeling, mountain biking and kayaking.
After breakfast a short 10-minute ride to town from the lodge in a safari style Land Cruiser brings you to the Garbutt Brother’s marina where your guides will be waiting to take you to the expansive and permit rich waters of the Port Honduras Marine Reserve.
- Day 1 Arrive Belize City International Airport (BZE), Arrive Punta Gorda and transfer to Copal Tree.
- Day 2-7 Full days guided fishing.
- Day 8 Depart Punta Gorda, Depart Belize City International Airport (BZE) for home.
2020 Rates: $3,775 -$5,300 per person for a 7 night/6 day package
Included: Accommodations at the lodge, all meals, complimentary use of all amenities (use of gym, laundry service, self-guided complimentary activities, kayaking/canoeing, mountain biking, onsite hiking).
Not Included: All airfare, fishing license, fishing gear (which may be borrowed based on availability), all beverages, gratuities.
Capacity: 8 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- Bauer’s Flats Crab – #4 Tan, #4 Olive
- EP Permit Crab – #1 3-Tone
- EP Crab – #2 Olive, #2 Tan
- Rag Head Crab – #6 Tan, #2 Tan
- Lexo’s One Armed Bandit – #2 Sand
- Slater’s Strong Arm Merkin – #2
- Avalon Permit Fly – #2, #2 Lightweight
Belize Bonefish and Permit Box
- Gotcha – #8, #6, #4
- Bonefish Bitters – #6 Olive, #6 Amber
- Bone Apetite – #4 Tan
- Mantis Shrimp – #6, #4
- EP Turneffe Micro Shrimp – #8 Pink
- EP Turneffe Micro Crab – #8 Pale Olive, #8 Tan
- Squimp – #6 Tan
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Black/Purple
- Megalopsicle – 1/0 Purple/Black, 1/0 Tan/Orange
- Super Mushy – 3/0 Blue/Pearl
- EP Sardina – 3/0
- EP Tarpon SP Bunny – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Chartreuse/Yellow
- Seeker – 3/0 Blue, 3/0 Green
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for bonefish
- Fast-action 9′ 9 weight for permit
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight for permit and tarpon
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 9 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #20 or #30 backing
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy, punches into the wind and can be presented softly. For bonefish.
- Weight forward tropical floating WF9F and WF10F fly lines, that punch into the wind and carry big flies. For permit and tarpon.
Bonefish Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb
- RIO Bonefish Leader – 12 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 12 lb, 16 lb
Permit Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb, 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 16 lb, 20 lb
Tarpon Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 40 lb, 60 lb
- RIO Tarpon Pro Leaders – 20 lb class/60 lb shock
- Sun protection is critical. Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best.
- Simms ZipIt II Booties are perfect for wading