Exactly as the name suggests, the Red Jig Slider is a slider-style fly, on a jig hook, for redfish from Louisiana to Key Largo. The fly’s successful track record can be attributed to how it pushes a good amount of water, has a ton of food-like movement from all the rabbit, and gets down to the fish.
In addition to the movement from the rabbit tail and collar, the key elements to this fly are the spun deer hair head and the Tungsten Hour Glass Eyes that are necessary to flip the fly over and have it swim correctly. Although the hair is spun on the top side of the hook shank (the side the fish see), mastering the technique lays the groundwork for creating all kinds of spun deer hair heads and bodies. Shop owner Darren Selznick originally tied the Red Jig Slider on the Mustad 91768NP-BN for its wide gap, but the Umpqua S506 is a good alternative if you need a heavier wire hook.
Red Jig Slider Materials:
- Hook: Mustad Wide Gap Jig Hook 91768NP-BN #1/0
- Thread: Ultra GSP Thread 75 Orange
- Eyes: Flat-End Tungsten Hour Glass Eyes Gold Med with 3D Eyes 3/16″ Solid Orange
- Tail Guard: Mason Hard Type Nylon 20 lb.
- Tail: Tiger Barred Magnum Rabbit Strips Black Barred Orange Over Tan
- Collar: Rabbit Strips Crosscut Tan
- Head: Premo Deer Hair Strips Rusty Brown, Orange
- Weedguard: Mason Hard Type Nylon 20 lb.