Save 10% on Materials with the Kit
Capt. Mark Giacobba’s Blue Claw instantly became our favorite tailing redfish fly after fishing it. The fly lands softly, it’s weedless, and it seems to be absolutely what the redfish are looking for when their faces are dug into seagrass. The original variation in the video is the go-to pattern, but also tying some with a purple collar and black tail (or visa versa) is a good idea for dirtier water when the fish don’t seem to be seeing the original variation well.
Blue Claw #2 (original blue claw variation)
- Thread: Ultra Thread 140 – Fl Orange
- Hook: Gamakatsu B10S – #2
- Weed-Guard: Mason Hard Type Nylon – 16lb
- Eyes: Bead Chain Eyes – Small Black
- Egg Sac: Estaz – Amber Orange
- Tail: Extra-Select Craft Fur – Orangutan Rust
- Flash: Flashabou – Pearl
- Collar: Barred Saddle Hackle – Grey/Black
Use a blue marker to color the tip. We recommend the Ultramarine colored PrismColor Marker.