Location: Northern inland jungle system of Costa Rica.
Fishery: At Jungle Tarpon Reserve you’re in for guerrilla style fishing for grown tarpon (50-130+ pounds). This involves dredging for fish as they roll and wake. The fish are plentiful and they’re in the system to eat so they’re bitey. The rainy season flushes baitfish into the inland river and creek-fed lagoons you’ll be fishing. That’s why the tarpon are there, and the tarpon are why you’re there.
Accomodations: Just about as comfortable as you can get considering the primal environment you’re in. You’ll stay in private family owned cabanas less than 100 yds from your launch point on the river. The cabanas have two single beds, ceiling fans and private baths with semi-warm water showers. Lunch and dinner are served at local restaurants, they consist of fried fish, chicken or pork and rice and beans.
- 5:15 AM Breakfast served in the boat en route to the fishing grounds
- 10:30 – 11:00 AM Break for lunch at a local restaurant and a siesta
- 1:30 PM Resume fishing
- 5:30 PM Depart fishing grounds for the lodge
- 7:30 PM Dinner at a local restaurant
- Day 1 Arrive Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) and overnight at your elected accommodations.
- Day 2 Meet lodge representative at your hotel and transfer to Jungle Tarpon Lodge (Approximately 4-5 hours).
- Day 3-7 Five full days of guided fishing.
- Day 8 Depart lodge for San Jose and your elected accommodations.
- Day 9 Depart Juan Santamaria International Airport
2020 Rates: $4,490 per person for a 6 night/6 day package.
Included: Accommodations and meals at the lodge, round-trip transfer between San Jose and the lodge, guided fishing (two anglers per boat), park entrance fee, fishing license.
Not Included: International airfare to/from San Jose, transfers, hotel accommodations and meals in San Jose, meals and snacks during transfers to/from the lodge, alcohol, fishing tackle, flies and equipment, staff and guide gratuities, phone use, travel insurance and airport departure tax.
Season: August – December
Capacity: 4 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- Predator Pounder – 2/0 Orange/Black, 2/0 Chartreuse/Black, 2/0 Red/Black
- Tarpon/Pike Snake – 3/0 Black
- Polar Fiber Minnow – 2/0 White
- EP Mullet – 3/0 Black/Purple
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Black/Purple
- EP Dorado – 4/0 Black/Yellow
- Tom’s Tantrum – 1/0 Black, 1/0 White
- Tuscan Bunny – 3/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Brown/Orange
- Megalopsicle – 1/0 Chartreuse/Yellow, 1/0 Dirty/Olive, 1/0 Purple/Black
- Bunny Tarpon Toad – 1/0 Chartreuse, 1/0 Purple/Black
- Slater’s Poon Bug – 1/0 Rustic
- Fast-action 9′ 11 weight for lagoons
- Fast-action 9′ 12 weight for the river
- Durable, quality 11 weight size reel with smooth powerful drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Durable, quality 12 weight size reel with smooth powerful drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best. Bugstopper gear is a good idea as you will be in the jungle, and make sure to have a rain jacket.