Location: Mamirauá Reserve, about 600 km west of Manaus
Fishery: Pirarucú is where you go to meet the great Arapaima and try to feed him a fly. You’ll be fishing the lakes and channels of the Mamirauá Reserve from a well equipped flats boat. The system is Brazil’s first Sustainable Development Reserve, it was created to preserve the arapaima and the pristine habitat the fish thrives in. In addition to the jungle king, this trip offers incredible fishing for timbaqui, a large pacu-like fish, the exotic arowana and yellow peacock bass.
Accomodations:A simple, beautiful floating eco-lodge constructed of local hardwoods. There are ten floating cabins, each with two en-suite rooms with ceiling fans. Well prepared meals are served in the connected main lodge. Located in the middle of the reserve, it’s only a short run to where you’ll fish.
- Board the skiffs early and go fishing. Head back to the lodge for lunch. Then go out and fish again til dinner.
- Day 1 Arrive in Manaus, Brazil. A representative of the lodge will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel. Dinner on your own.
- Day 2 After breakfast at the hotel a representative of the lodge will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Tefe. A representative will meet you at the airport and transfer you to the marina for the 1-hour boat ride to the lodge. Arrive at the lodge for lunch. Fish the afternoon session.
- Day 3-8 Six days of guided fishing for Arapaima and other jungle species.
- Day 9: fter breakfast you will take the 1-hour boat ride back to Tefe for your return flight to Manaus.
Per person based on double occupancy:
At time of writing, subject to change
7 night/6½ day package: $5,995 plus $590 native fees
5 night/4½ day package: $4,995 plus $490 native fees
Included: One overnight at 4-star Hotel in Manaus, ground transfers in Manaus, ground and boat transfer from Tefe airport to the lodge, accommodations and meals at the lodge, beer/wine/alcohol, guided fishing (2 per guide), optional guided eco-tours, fishing licenses and daily laundry at the lodge.
Not Included: International flights, $600 Native Community Fee (cash required), flight from Manaus to Tefe (approximately USD $150), meals and beverages at the Hotel in Manaus, gratuities to staff and guides, airport departure tax, satellite phone calls ($5/minute), city tours in Manaus, extra hotel overnights, fishing equipment and flies (available at lodge for $10/each).
Season: September – November
Capacity: 6 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- EP Dorado – 4/0 Baby Peacock, 4/0 Black/Yellow
- EP Peanut Butter – 3/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Black/Red
- EP Pike/Offshore – 4/0 Black/Orange, 4/0 Yellow Perch, 4/0 Fire Tiger
- EP Tinker Mackerel – 3/0 Tinker Mackerel Olive
- Mangum’s Dragon Tail – 1/0 Black, 1/0 White
- Polar Fiber Minnow – 2/0 White
- Predator Pounder – 2/0 Red/Black, 2/0 Chartreuse/Black, 2/0 Orange/Black
- Robrahn’s Bluewater – 6/0 Dark Day, 6/0 Baby Dorado
- Seeker – 3/0 Green
- Tarpon/Pike Snake – 3/0 Black, 3/0 Orange/Yellow
- Umpqua Baitfish – Peacock 2/0
Arowana and Peacock Bass Flies
- RIO’s Chernobyl Ant – #10 Black/Tan, #10 Brown/Gold
- Terresticator – #6
- Surface Seaducer Double Barrel Bass Bug – Black #2
- EP A2Z Minnow – 2/0 Dead Meat, 2/0 Fire Treuse, 2/0 Purple Magic
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Black/Red
- Polar Fiber Minnow – #2 Electric Yellow/White, #2 Olive/White
- Rainy’s Joom Diver – Black #8, Chartreuse #8, Orange #8, Yellow #8
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for arowana, peacock bass and timbaqui (a 6wt would be fun as well)
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight for smaller arapaima
- Fast-action 9′ 12 weight for larger arapaima
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 100 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Durable 12 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy and turns over air resistant bugs
- Weight forward tropical TT10I full intermediate sinking line
- Weight forward tropical WF500S 500 grain fast sinking line
Arapaima Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 30lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 60lb, 80lb, 100lb
Arowana, Peacock Bass, and Timbaqui Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Redfish/Seatrout Leader – 16 lb
- RIO Saltwater Mono – 16lb, 25lb, 30lb
- Sun protection is critical. Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best.