Location: Turneffe Atoll, approx. 30 miles due east from Belize City.
Fishery: Turneffe is a premier fly fishing experience with permit being the main attraction. The key to the permit equation is number of shots and the Turneffe Atoll system provides plenty. Including shots at tailing permit. Permit and bonefish are year-round targets. Migratory tarpon during the summer make Turneffe a Grand Slam destination offering anglers a good shot at catching the Big Three saltwater species in the same day.
Accomodations: Turneffe Flats Lodge is a quaint fishing village style lodge. Laid back and relaxed but very well kept. The villas provide incredible views, are air-conditioned, and have their own private bathrooms. Meals are simply fresh and delicious, served family style in the main lodge, and consist of seafood, chicken, pork and beef. The diving opportunities are incredible for non-fishing guests.
- 7:00 – 8:00 AM Breakfast of fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage and fresh baked goods is served
- 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Guided fishing. You can return to the lodge at 12:00 PM for lunch or have a packed lunch on the water
- 6:15 PM Hors d’ oeuvres and cocktails
- 7:00 PM Dinner is served
- Day 1 Arrive. To get to Turneffe Flats Lodge you need to make flight arrangements to Belize International Airport. The lodge itinerary is Saturday to Saturday. All guests need to arrive in Belize before 3:30 PM on Saturday. You will be transported to the Princess International Hotel Marina. At the Marina, you will be notified of the boat’s scheduled departure time, which varies according to guest arrivals. The trip by boat to Turneffe Flats takes approximately 90 minutes.
- Day 2-7 Six full days of guided fishing.
- Day 8 Depart the lodge. You will leave the island on Saturday morning at approximately 8:00 AM. From the Belize City marina you will be transferred to the airport. Please schedule your flight home after 11:30 AM.
2020 Rates: $4,090-$4,690 plus tax per person for a 7 night/6 day package
Included: Accommodations and meals at the lodge, guided fishing/diving/atoll adventure, dive tank, weights, belts, round-trip transportation between Belize City and the lodge.
Not Included: Airfare, accommodations and meals in Belize City (if needed), staff & guide gratuities, fishing equipment rentals, dive equipment rentals, alcohol, $40 Blue Hole entrance fee.
Season: Year-round (tarpon: june-august)
Capacity: 16 anglers
All arrangements are handled by our trusty friends at Fly Water Travel.
- Bauer’s Flats Crab – #4 Tan, #4 Olive
- EP Permit Crab – #1 3-Tone
- EP Crab – #2 Olive, #2 Tan
- Rag Head Crab – #6 Tan, #2 Tan
- Lexo’s One Armed Bandit – #2 Sand
- Slater’s Strong Arm Merkin – #2
- Avalon Permit Fly – #2, #2 Lightweight
Belize Bonefish and Permit Box
- Gotcha – #8, #6, #4
- Bonefish Bitters – #6 Olive, #6 Amber
- Bone Apetite – #4 Tan
- Mantis Shrimp – #6, #4
- EP Turneffe Micro Shrimp – #8 Pink
- EP Turneffe Micro Crab – #8 Pale Olive, #8 Tan
- Squimp – #6 Tan
- EP Peanut Butter – 2/0 Black/Purple, 3/0 Black/Purple
- Megalopsicle – 1/0 Purple/Black, 1/0 Tan/Orange
- Super Mushy – 3/0 Blue/Pearl
- EP Sardina – 3/0
- EP Tarpon SP Bunny – 2/0 Black/Purple, 2/0 Chartreuse/Yellow
- Seeker – 3/0 Blue, 3/0 Green
- Fast-action 9′ 8 weight for bonefish
- Fast-action 9′ 9 weight for permit
- Fast-action 9′ 10 weight for permit and tarpon
- Durable 8 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 150 yds of #20 backing
- Durable 9 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #20 or #30 backing
- Durable 10 weight size reel with smooth drag system and at least 200 yds of #30 backing
- Weight forward tropical floating WF8F fly line, that loads easy, punches into the wind and can be presented softly. For bonefish.
- Weight forward tropical floating WF9F and WF10F fly lines, that punch into the wind and carry big flies. For permit and tarpon.
Bonefish Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb
- RIO Bonefish Leader – 12 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 12 lb, 16 lb
Permit Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 16 lb, 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 16 lb, 20 lb
Tarpon Leaders & Tippet
- RIO Saltwater Leader – 20 lb
- RIO Fluoroflex Saltwater Tippet – 40 lb, 60 lb
- RIO Tarpon Pro Leaders – 20 lb class/60 lb shock
- Sun protection is critical. Lightweight, quick-drying technical fishing apparel with built-in UPF protection is best.
- Simms Zipit II booties are perfect for wading sessions